Saturday, November 24, 2007

Guilin, the Scenery, and Serenity








Today was sightseeing. Guilin has so many beautiful places to see. We cruised down the Li River. There is beautiful limestone hills and peaks surrounding the river. The river is crystal clear, like something in a National Geographic magazine. We watched the water buffalo along the shore and fishermen on bamboo rafts fishing with their cormorants. Our guide told us Chinese eat everything with two exceptions. The do not eat water buffalo, or the cormorants. When they die they are buried. Andrew asked her "do you eat rats"? She said "of course"! I'm glad he didn't interject a 13 year old's comments, he just left it at that. We also visited the flute caves. Beautiful caves with stalagmites and stalactites millions of years old. Our guide explained the Chinese government didn't even know about the caves until 1962. During WW11 the local people hid there from the Japanese army.
Jaynie played test the limits today. She did not win. To her credit it was a 4 hour boat ride and the bubbles I brought for her ran out the first 20 minutes. I wouldn't let her run and bother other people, she got mad at me. When we got off the boat she wouldn't hold my hand, she went to the guide instead. Later that night she got sick to her stomach. I tried to baby her, I can tell she is used to fending for herself. I made her comfortable as I could, fussed over her and tucked her in bed. I want her to know she doesn't have to be in charge anymore. Tomorrow we are off to Guangzhou, about an hour plane ride. I really wish we had more time in Guilin. Jaynie's hometown is the most interesting city I have ever been to. We are a little more than half way through our journey.

No comments: