Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Images from Nanning





This is our last day in Nanning. Tomorrow we board the bus and head to Guilin, the city where Jaynie is from. We went shopping at a mall to buy some new clothes for Jaynie. Andrew was horrified to see a mother holding a baby with split pants over a potted plant. The baby and was relieving himself. It made me chuckle. I'm glad my thirteen year old gets to experience different cultures first hand!
We went to Green Mountain today. It houses a Buddhist Temple and a very lovely Pagoda. An older Monk struck up a conversation with Jaynie. I asked, through our guide, if I could take their picture together, but he declined. I was also asked not to take pictures of the Buddhist Statues.
I had given Jaynie some coins to carry in her pocket. Our driver joked with her and said he would carry her bags for money. She replied that "I have sixty cents in my pocket and I will give you ten cents". Her math skills have really surprised me!
I'm very excited to go to Guilin. If anyone has seen 'Big Bird goes to China' (a classic!) that is where it was filmed.
Thanksgiving on the road to Guilin, more soon...

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

I am so happy for your family, I am excited for you and am glad to see everything is going so well.

Laurie McLean said...

I am just charmed with your whole family. I love the picture of your little sweetie in the mirror! Hope the rest of your trip is just as blessed. Laurie

Laurie McLean said...

I am just charmed by your whole family. What a lovely picture of your little sweetie in the mirror. May the rest of your trip be just as blessed! Laurie

Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Ralph and I LOVED Guilin,we are so jealous! Jaynie is so cute, I am curious to hear how well she has adapted to you and to the language.
Enjoy the rest of your trip, I am anxious to meet your new family!
Safe travels.
Wendy